Pocono ProFoods provides weekly analysis of current market conditions and industry trends in efforts to share specific product category information, assist in the menu planning process and help maximize customer profits. Each week, the four market condition categories (Meat, Seafood, Produce & Dairy) will be updated with the most accurate & dependable industry information to help you manage your business.
Market Reports Tabs
Meat Market Report
The ground beef market should relax after the high demand for the July 4th holiday. No Roll Tenderloins are in tight supply and the market is fluctuating. We have sources Select-grade Tenderloins to alleviate a supply gap. However the supplies are tight on swom heavier cuts so the select cuts, are lighter in size, escpecially on Rib Eyes.
Market is mixed. Demand has been good and improving on several cuts and additional interest for exports is helping to put additional pressure on the market.
Increased demand for small birds has caused supplies to tighten and the market to rise on boneless skinless breasts, IQF filets and Airline breasts.
The market is very strong. Expect this to continue through the summer.
Expect legs to remain steady as the weather warms. Demand is growing on racks and loins and the market is rising.
New England has new government regulations making harvests lighter than in the past. This is keeping the market higher on local haddock, cod and flounder. Fresh, extra-large scallops are in tight supply due to quota restrictions, driving the market higher. The clam & oytser markets are volatile due to colder than usual waters during the winter season. Smaller supplies will affect the marketplace throughout the summer. The local season for lobsters begins soon!
King Crab fishing quotas are off again. Poor harvests have caused the market to rise past last seasons levels.
Difficult growing conditions for farm-raised shrimp in Vietnam and Thailand are making the harvests lean, pushing the market up.
New crop fruit imported from Mexico. Takes longer for the fruit to ripen. Markets are moving downward.
The Bakersfield crop is in full production. Growth is good and starting to yield good precentages of Jumbo size and supplies are increasing. Supplies of baby peeled carrots are good too.
Rain and wind in the California growing regions have caused mold, bruising and white shoulders on the strawberries. Supplies are limited.
Demand exceeds supplies for the next several weeks in the Calfornia growing regions. The summer crop peaked in mid-June, bringing high volume early in the season. The lowest point of harvesting will be mid-July.
The Mexican growing regions are providing some relief supplies. The California and Baja-Mexico growing regions should have new crops in a few weeks, as long as the weather is fair.
Supplies remain steady with more crowns versus bunches available. Quality is good from the Salinas and Santa Maria growing regions.
Rain and high tempereatures in the West are still causing rustiness in leaf lettuces. Chopped romaine has been effected the most dramatically.
The market undertone is mixed. Cream supplies are getting tight throughout the country. Competition for cream between various dairy processsors is increasing. Consequently, butter manufacturing is generally steady to lower. A few manufacturers are selling cream instead of churning. However, many butter processors are content to hold stocks in order to cover upcoming needs. Demand for both foodservice and retailers is good. High summer temperatures are lowering dairy cow's production in most regions of the country. However, milk output is steady in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Cream supplies are getting tight throughout the country. Ice cream makers are pulling large volumes of cream.
Market Reports Tabs B
Julienne Rainbow Carrots (PPF# 116940): Add a little color to your dishes with julienne rainbow carrots! These matchstick-cut, red, yellow, orange & light orange carrots are a delicious way to add both color & crunch to appetizers, salads, garnish and entrees. They also provide a rainbow of rich nutirents and antioxidants. 5 lb. bag or 4/5 lb. case.
Here are just some of the Specialty Produce items PPF can supply:
- Fennel, 12 ct. (PPF#5018)
- Fennel, 24/30 bun. (PPF#5020)
- Baby Fennel, 24 ct. (PPF#5022)
- Haricovert (French) Beans, 1/5 lb. (PPF#5126)
- Brussel Sprouts, 1/25 lb. (PPF#5190)
- European Seadless Cucumbers, 12/1 lb. (PPF#5450)
- Ginger Root, 1 lb. (PPF#5560)
- Jicama Root, 1/20 lb. (PPF#5580)
- Taro Root, 45 lb. (PPF#5584)
- Baby Lettuce Mix, 2 lb. (PPF#5656)
- Chanterelle Mushrooms, 3 lb. (PPF#5792)
- Cippolini Onions, 10 lb. (PPF#5908)
- Dried Morel Mushrooms, 1 lb. (PPF#6022)
- Peruvian Blue Potatoes, 1/40 lb. (PPF#6042)
- Purple Fingerling Potatoes, 10 lb. (PPF#6052)
- Bi-Color Pewee Potatoes, 10 lb. (PPF#6053)
- Tri-Color Peewee Potatoes, 1/10 lb. (PPF#6056)
- Baby Root Vegetable, Assort, 24/bun (PPF#6442)
- Lady Apples, 10 lb. (PPF#6494)
- Arkansas Black Heirloom Apples, 88 ct. (PPF#6524)
- Sierra Beauty Heirloom Apples, 88 ct. (PPF#6526)
- Clementine Gift Pack, 5 lb. (PPF#6816)
- Fresh Cranberries, 24/12 oz (PPF#6820)
- Fresh Figs, 24/34 ct. (PPF#6888)
- Meyer Lemons, 10 lb. (PPF#7176)
- Blood Oranges, 1 box (PPF#7538)
- Bosc Pears, 70 ct. (PPF#7740)
- Red Pears, 45 ct. (PPF#7742)
- Baby Pineapple, 10/12 ct. (PPF#7798)
- Lemon Leaf, 1 bunch, (PPF#8316)
- Micro Arugula, 8 oz. (PPF#8334)
- White Edible Orchids, 50 ct. (PPF#8338)
- Israeli Basil, 12/1 bun. (PPF#8340)
- Baby Arugula, 1/3 lb. (PPF#8420)
- Mixed Baby Beets w/ tops, 24 bunch (PPF#8622)
- Baby Bok Choy, 1/bx (PPF#8630)
- Peeled Carrots w/ Tops, 1/5 lb. (PPF#8702)
- Celery Root, 1/20 lb. (PPF#8720)
- Baby Frisse, 24 ct. (PPF#8750)
- Frisse, 24 ct. (PPF#8752)
- Lemon Grass (18 ea.), 2 lb. (PPF#8766)
- Micro Greens, 8 oz. (PPF#8816)
- Snopea Shoots, 10/3.5 oz. (PPF#8842)
- Chipotle Peppers, 1/5 lb. (PPF#8848)
- Ancho Dried Chile Peppers, 1/1 lb. (PPF#8858)
- Mixed Edible Flowers, 50 ct. (PPF#8868)
- Green Pattypan Squash, 1/5 lb. (PPF#8900)
- Yellow Pattypan Squash, 1/5 lb. (PPF#8906)
- Mini Zucchini, 1/5 lb. (PPF#8910)
- Russian Banana Fingerling Potatoes, 1/20 lb. (PPF#8934)
The list above contains some items that are stocked at PPF, others that require 2 days notice when ordering as well as items that are available only seasonally. Check with your Sales Representative or Customer Service Representative for more information. Thank you.
Take a look at some of the local farms that supply us with the best quality produce.
Many non-food manufacturers have enacted price increases in the past few weeks due to escalating costs of raw materials (oil, resin). In April, Dart Container announced that the price of their products (foam & plastic take-out containers, plates, bowls, cups & lids) increased 5%-8%, depending on the item.
Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) Outbreak:
This outbreak is have a huge impact on egg suppliers and manufacturers using eggs. This virus appears to be spreading via migratory birds (i.e. geese, ducks, etc.). More than 15 state have reported cases of the bird flu as of May 2015 resulting in the loss of more than 30 million birds across the U.S.A. This epidemic represents the worst outbreak of bird related illess in U.S. history and will undoubtedly will result in higher prices of poultry and products containing eggs as an ingredient (baked goods, dressings, ice cream, etc.). The impact of this outbreak goes far beyond egg suppliers. The first law of economics, "Law of Supply and Demand" will impact poultry/turkey pricing over the next several months and is likely to have a severe impact on Holiday Turkeys.